Tuesday, December 30, 2014

I've Got Your Back

Hey everyone, hope Christmas was kind to you all. Yesterday was a nice day to get back into the swing of things after having four days off. It was pretty calm for the most part. It's been rough the last few days due to ambush style attacks on police officers in the states of California, North Carolina, and Florida.

At roll call, our sergeant again stressed all the things we can do to stay safe in our vehicles and deal with threats accordingly should they arise. It's times like these that when I'm not actively doing anything, I try hopping on a call or traffic stop with a co-worker just to ensure their safety through numbers. An old instructor from my academy days had a favorite phrase that I still here perfectly in his voice: "We're not playing with these people."

So when I hear late at night, a coworker pull out on a traffic stop and tell the dispatcher that there's three people in a car (and I know the area where he is does not have well lit streets and is out of the way) I head straight to him to back him up. Out here on the streets we have to have everyone's back. You have no idea when that support just may be needed.

My partner was pretty much out of commission for most of the day. I was busy handling a larceny call when a person stabbed call popped up on her beat. Since I was not on the scene for that, I'll just share vague details-but essentially she had a 12 year old girl stab a 14 year old. There was intent behind the stabbing and the juvenile was arrested. To you all that may be surprising. To us where I work-sadly that happens. I once had a 7 and a 9 year old attack a lady verbally and physically with profane language just because she "wasn't allowed" to bring her daughter to the playground. It's moments like those that make you wonder where our future generations and society are headed. It really makes you think.

On a side note, roughly as we were dealing with that, we had an officer involved shooting in a neighboring jurisdiction. Thankfully the officer was ok, but he ended up shooting an armed man and a large dog that attempted to to get in his way for a domestic incident where a lady was stabbed (nobody knew she was stabbed at the time). Every call can be dangerous nowadays. For that reason, I'll always back up my fellow man.

We'll see what today has in store leading up to tomorrow's crazy day, New Year's Eve (or as I like to call it-Shots Fired Day). Stay safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment