Sunday, May 24, 2015

"That's a Big Boy!"

Hey all, sorry I haven't written in awhile. I had a trainee during a very busy week and then went on vacation for a bit to the beach. The beach getaway was nice and I got a chance to see two of my friends get married in a beautiful ceremony.

My trainee was really good to say the least. He has to work on his radio skills but he has a lot of potential. His father is a retired professional wrestler ( I thought that was pretty cool). He hadn't really done any traffic stops with his previous Field Training Officer, so we managed to get a lot done. I didn't want to focus so much on writing tickets but just dealing with people on stops. He handled himself very well.

One of the days that week, we responded to the parking lot of the shopping mall on my beat for a vehicle break-in. We arrive on scene and there's an elderly lady who stated her gun was stolen from her car. The lady normally carries her .40 pistol in her purse but had recently hurt her ankle and the extra weight was too much for her. She placed the gun in between her driver seat and the center console (it was left visible from outside the car). In a rush to get into the mall however, the lady left her car doors unlocked and the pistol was stolen. The lady was very appreciative of the things we do everyday and thanked us for doing our job in such hard times and even went one step further by thanking us for dealing with the crazy juveniles that are out causing the crimes. She shared the story of how she brought back her grandson from the streets and how he's a very productive member of society (he was in the car with her).

Toward the end of the week we ended up arresting a juvenile for shoplifting. I walked my trainee through the extensive and tedious juvenile process. We were at juvenile court dropping off the arrest paperwork when an officer asked for another unit to deal with a hostile male off his meds. We weren't exactly close to him but we started to head that way anyways. In the background we could hear the male going "Fuck you man!" on the radio.  The backup officer arrived and keyed up going "This is a big boy! We need more units! This guy is HUGE!". After hearing that, I hit my lights and showed the trainee some first hand tips about driving safe and fast amid a tense blood pumping situation. We arrived on scene and I hopped out of the car (narrowly missing another officer arriving on scene---that could have been bad). We rush to help get the male under control as paramedics loaded him on a a stretcher and restrained him with physical restraints. I was curious walking back to the car about what the original call was. When I looked at my MDT I noticed the man was 15 years old. I was shocked. He was about 6'7 and easily 300lbs and he was 15 years old. Thankfully everything went safely and the kid was taken to the hospital for a much needed mental evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment