Monday, October 5, 2015

A Slow Week In the City

This week was incredibly slow. You know it's going to be slow when a lady calls to complain about kids throwing rocks at her car, which happened....a WEEK ago. The dispatcher ended up holding the call for about an hour and a half due to the un-important nature of it. Needless to say, she wasn't there when I got out there but it definitely set the tone for the week.

The next day we were running pretty short and my buddy left early because he had firearms qualification in the morning.  As soon as he signed off I got a call on his beat for a hit and run in the parking lot of a gym. I was inspecting the damage to the car (which wasn't much) and dreading about writing this report when the caller tells me that the lady who hit him was standing by for me. This was the greatest news in the world at the end of my shift because it went from an automatic hit and run report to a private property accident where the two parties would exchange information. In my state, I can't write traffic tickets for private property accidents and I can't assign blame leading to no report. The man was stunned he couldn't get a police report. I told him how he could get a form off online to send in to his insurance company but that he wasn't getting a report. Meanwhile, I was just happy I didn't have to take a report that belonged to my buddy and could get off in time.

The next day, I got another held call for another hit and run to a parked vehicle, this time at an apartment complex. The call was held for about two hours due to us being short and the priority of the call. When I arrived, I had my trainee for the day talk to the lady who was a visiting home-care nurse. She stated she had been running around all over the city since 730 in the morning and really didn't know where or when the damage occurred but was just glad that she noticed it where she did because she had just come from a much rougher part of the city (still in my area). As soon as she said that we received a call for a person shot as the result of a carjacking in the area she had JUST mentioned. More irony in the city...

And to top off my slow non-exciting week. I was hanging out at the fire station near my beat due to the slowness. The fire truck was out of commission due to a bad alternator so they had a Fire/EMS unit at the house. I was with them when I got a call to assist fire with a forced entry situation. A stove had caught fire at an apartment and the owner was nowhere to be found with the front door locked. Thankfully by the time I arrived, the owner returned and Fire was able to douse the flames. I arrived to a VERY loud reverse fan which was sucking all the smoke out of the house.

A very-uneventful week. We don't have those often but I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment