Monday, January 5, 2015

Large Hand Tossed Carjacking

Hey everyone, hope the New Year's went well for you. I'm back at work and working Sundays for the first time in about six months. I had so much extra time from staying late that I had to use it or lose it so I was working only three days a week but that fun period is over. In fact we'll be changing shifts per our brand new major to five days a week......So having four and three days off a week was nice while it lasted. The general consensus is that most people aren't happy with losing that extra day. You can't really worry about what you can't control though.

So I forgot just how slow Sunday's really were until I was honestly sitting bored for a few minutes. The rest of the work week is 100mph from start to finish so Sunday is nice depending on the type of week it has been. It's a good day for me to ease back into my work-week. However the day did not go smoothly for everyone.

I did get a felony arrest off a case where a guy shot a stolen gun at his mother (sadly for the type of case it was I can't share too much on here.) The irony was he was the one who called 911. Sometimes you can't fix stupid we like to say.

Elsewhere while I was dealing with that arrest we had a three year old child shot in the foot who was a walk-in at a local hospital outside of the city. The parents could not say exactly where the shooting happened at. First it was near a corner store and then it was at home. Generally from personal opinion, if I had my three year old child shot in the foot I would be calling 911 instead of driving many miles myself to a far away hospital when there was a closer one inside of the city.  Typically this is what we in law enforcement call a "clue" that something was going on that wasn't supposed to be happening.

The real story of the day however comes from another pizza delivery carjacking (if you'll remember we had one on Christmas Eve-see "Christmas Eve on the Streets").  This poor pizza delivery driver was delivering a pizza to a complex about 10pm or so when 5-6 young black male teenagers wearing leather jackets carjacked the driver with handguns as they entered the complex. Once again it's the youth committing these crazy weapons offense crimes that put people's lives in jeopardy.  Lately I feel the most dangerous job in the city is a pizza delivery driver when you have no clue that you're about to deliver pizza to a vacant apartment only to return to your vehicle and get robbed/carjacked.

We need change in the communities to really help change the youth. Better teachers with more influence, better programs that kids really want to attend. Something needs to change, otherwise we'll just have more encounters with the wayward armed youth who commits violent felonies. Just my personal opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment