Sunday, December 13, 2015

As the Weather Cools, The Streets Get Hotter

So this has been a crazy week just in the last three days. We've had two officer-involved shootings, one of which had a fatal result. Not to mention, the days have been pretty crazy.

Sunday I responded to a call of shots being fired at a city park within a residential neighborhood. The caller stated he could see people hanging out in the park and the gunshots sounded like they were coming from two different guns. I was the first one on scene. I couldn't hear any gunshots by the time I got in the area but started to creep very slowly in my patrol car as I rolled up the scene. The park was empty but there was an SUV parked just on the side of the park with someone inside. I quickly gave the tag number to my dispatcher who ran it as I approached. A black female hopped out of the SUV with a cigarette in her hand. I asked her if she had heard anything recently and she said she did hear the shooting coming from the park but didn't see anyone. I asked her why she was just hanging out on the road in the dark and she told me she lives just down the street but didn't like smoking in front of her kids. The tag confirmed she lived right down the street. She went along on her way but my heart was pounding not knowing what was going on when she jumped out like that .

Monday was an insane day. As soon as I got my keys, I got a hot call on the other sector since I was the only car in service at the time. It was an all brawl in the parking lot of a state labor office. I responded code to the scene as I kept getting updates that the brawl was just getting more intense. I pulled  up and paramedics were treating a woman and a male who was bleeding from his mouth. Everyone was trying to tell me at once what was going on. Apparently, the male bleeding from his mouth was the passenger in a parked vehicle who opened the door and banged his door on the parked vehicle the woman was sitting in. The male began to walk away and the female said he couldn't leave because he hit her car. The male didn't want to deal with the female so he hopped back in the car and told his friend to drive away. The male couldn't back out because the female was behind the car so he started to maneuver in sort of a three-point turn style. The female went to approach the driver and was inadvertently hit. This caused a huge scene in the parking lot. The male passenger stepped out and yelled at the female and then shoved her. The crowd didn't like this and began to beat the male in force. The female's daughter came outside of the labor office and slugged the guy who punched her in the jaw. I placed both males under arrest (the driver ended up having two warrants for failing to appear on tickets of expired tag and a handicap parking ticket from four years ago...). I ended up giving the female's daughter a copy of charges for the disorderly conduct because to be honest, I would have done the same if I saw my own mother get hit. The driver had a jack russell terrier named Roscoe and I really didn't want to put the dog in the pound so I waited about 2 hours for someone to come pick up the little guy. Real cute dog that I walked around the patrol car for a bit to stretch it's legs.

Later Monday night, I responded to a burglar in a residence call. A person called 911 to state they saw someone breaking into the vacant house next door and when they realized they had been spotted they brandished what appeared to be a firearm in the guy's direction. The guy fearing for the safety of himself and his family fired a single shot in the direction of the perp. He didn't hit anything but that was sure a hair raising moment as we responded to a burglary in progress-shots fired. Hell of a last call for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment