Sunday, December 20, 2015

Stolen or Not Stolen?

I was stopped at a light and saw this car in front of me. I ran the tag and the tag came back to a trailblazer and this was a small black sedan. I pulled the car over and an older female was driving.

I asked her what the situation was with the tag and she said she didn't know because the car wasn't hers. I asked her who the car belonged to and she told me it was Mr. John's car. I asked her if she had any registration paperwork and she came up empty handed. I asked her if she had a phone number for this "Mr. John" and she said no. I had her place her hands on the steering wheel while I went to look and write down the VIN from the dash. I realized the VIN was missing and I immediately went to place her in handcuffs. I ran the VIN from another location and found out that the car actually belonged to her! I asked her why she lied to me and she said she didn't want to get in trouble. The car actually had canceled registration so she slapped on a tag from another car that she owned. What could have just been an impound of her car turned into her car getting impounded and her going to jail!

While I ended up staying late with that arrest, I was on my way back to the precinct to go home when I hopped on the highway and saw this pickup truck weaving ALL over two lanes. I knew this was something I couldn't ignore and pulled it over. The car couldn't decide  where it was going to pull over but finally did. It turns out the car didn't even have a valid tag on it. The driver told me he bought the car from a family in a neighboring state, whose grandfather died (it was his old truck). The grandfather's title was missing and he needed it to get it registered. The truck needed a TON of work and it had a very strong pull to it (which explained the weaving). Thankfully he wasn't intoxicated and I didn't have to have an even later night. The guy got a ticket for not having his vehicle registered past the allowed time from the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment