Monday, March 23, 2015

Not The Average Sunday

  Yesterday was Sunday. Sundays are typically slow in the police community. Yesterday it rained. Rainy days are typically slow. Put the two together and you'd think we could all just sit down and have a meal on a "quiet" Sunday. Yesterday was not that day.

I came into work with a pending of calls about 12 deep. The pending never cleared until 1245am. (I get off work at 1030-or at least I'm supposed to). I ended up staying late due to a vehicle accident and on the way back to the precinct a DUI driver on prescription medication and alcohol driving with no lights on almost hit me head on. Needless to say, I didn't get home until roughly 2am. I'm especially grateful for an officer who helped me out with the field sobriety test on the driver (who failed miserably and I had to hold in my laughter as it occurred).

Earlier in the day I posted up at my favorite highway off-ramp to run tags when I saw a vehicle with a temporary tag. In my state, "temp tags" have a registration number and a date when the tag expires. This particular tag only had a date and therefore was invalid. I initiated my stop on the vehicle as it pulled into a buy here/pay here car dealership.

I approached the car and saw two kids (later found out there were 3 and 1 years old) both sleeping on the backseat lying down with no seat belts on. I asked the driver why her kids weren't in a seat and she told me she was just coming back from the daycare and didn't have them in her car (which was a rental from the car dealership which we pulled into). I asked the driver for her license and she told me she left it at home. I had her write down her information on my notepad and I went back to the car to run her and the car's VIN. The VIN told me the car was not registered (meaning a ticket at least for that and the two kids). When I ran the license the height and weight on the female didn't seem to match for an ID that was supposedly issued last month. I ran the female's information on my department database and found out she was arrest last month for shoplifting. I returned to the car and asked the female when the last time she was arrested was. The female told me it was a few years ago and could not remember the charge. I knew for a fact at this point she was giving me the information of someone else. I detained her in handcuffs and told her this was the time to tell me who she really was or she would be charged with a misdemeanor for lying to me. She kept to her story and I fingerprinted her with a mobile fingerprint machine. Sure enough she was lying and when I found out who she was, she had three warrants, each from separate counties. She also rented the car from the car dealership using a fake name as her license was suspended. For some people when it rains, it pours-literally.

Later in the day, I was dealing with a possible stolen truck at an apartment complex that actually turned out to have been repossessed after the owner hadn't paid in three months....when a dispute with a knife broke out in an adjacent building. A resident in the apartment managed to wrestle the knife away before I actually got over there. But two grown adult sisters in the apartment got cabin fever after being cooped up in the apartment with the rain all day. One had been drinking and the other had been smoking weed (the weed smoker also had one leg). The weed smoker got upset, grabbed a knife and jumped on the other sister after cutting her on her inner thigh. The drinker kept telling me she was cut and I kept asking where and she wouldn't tell me. She finally said officer, I'll just pull down my pants and show you. I had to stop her. I really didn't want to see that. Eventually the beat officer for where the fight occurred came out and handled the call. I got out of that apartment as fast as I could.

I slept so well and slept in even. Of course today just happened to be the day maintenance came around to do quarterly inspections and I awoke to my dog waking me up barking. Today definitely called for an energy drink to stay alert for the start of a new shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment