Sunday, April 19, 2015

Crying Over Milk And It's Not Even Spilled

So last week was an interesting week of testing out some new body cameras for the department. I'm a huge proponent of them. We're already being filmed by the public so might as well film situations from the beginning and from our perspective.

Sunday saw me responding to a suicidal person call. A third party caller from the VA hospital said a drunk veteran was tired of life and threatening to shoot himself in the face. I arrive on scene with three other officers and we step inside the apartment. I ask the female in the residence where the guy was and she stated he was in his room packing some stuff. Myself and another officer went to the hallway and peeked around the corner since we did not know if he was armed or not. I asked the other officer if he could see the male and he said no (I couldn't see him either). All of a sudden the woman just walks down the hallway into the room. I had no choice but to walk into the room with her in case the male was armed. I walk into the room and see a rather large white guy facing away from me with his fists clenched and he's pacing in place as if he's marching. I ask him to walk with me to the living room but he says no and starts to tense his arms in a fighting stance. I glove up and grab his arm and try to guide him to the room. He starts to come along but states he's not leaving without his backpack. I get another officer to quickly check the bag for weapons as we move to the living room.

The man starts yelling at us "Who are you motherfuckers!? Where are you taking me?". We told him we were the police and there to help him and that the paramedics were going to take him to the hospital soon. The guy then says the last time he went to the hospital they just left him there and forgot him. The paramedics show up and explain to him that maybe he should try a different hospital. The guy started yelling that he would only leave if it was to the VA Hospital. Unfortunately the ambulance service doesn't transport to the VA nor does the VA accept patients at that time of night. I was still holding the guy's arm and told him to have a seat and let the paramedics take his vital signs. The guy tensed up again and said I want to hurt people. The paramedics asked him if he wanted to hurt himself and he said no just other people. He then looked me in the eye and said "I want to fucking  hit you". I looked him right in the eye and said "that's not going to happen and even if it did-I wouldn't let it happen."I already had the hood down on my taser and was ready to go hands on at any time. Eventually we got him calm and ready to head to the ambulance. As we walk down the stairs his neighbor beneath him is standing outside watching everything and the guy (still being held and guided by me) starts yelling he wants to go fight "that motherfucker (his neighbor)". We had to send another officer over to "talk" to the neighbor to calm the veteran down. We finally got him inside the ambulance and the paramedics gave him a sedative to calm him down.


On Monday I rode with a supervisor as we tested the body cameras. I got a 911 call at a fast food fried chicken restaurant about a former employee complaining that she did not get her paycheck. The employee had quit and was demanding her check with she states is normally paid on Mondays. I spoke to the manager who said that while technically they get paid on Mondays that officially payday isn't until Tuesday and that since she was no longer an employee that corporate would send her the paycheck on a debit card of sorts sometime on Tuesday. The lady was furious when I told her what was said and she did not want to hear me try and explain the Monday-Tuesday situation.

Tuesday I came across a car driving with a dealership drive out tag that just had the name of the dealer on it (not a legitimate tag). I pulled over the car and saw a female driver with headphones on driving. I asked her what the situation with the tag was and she told me the vehicle was a loaner car with loaner agreement. I didn't feel like writing her for the tag violation when it was clearly the dealership's fault so I wrote her for wearing headphones while driving. In my state, you cannot wear headphones that cover both ears while driving. You can have one in and one out and you're good but both can limit your ability to hear important things like sirens or honking horns.

Wednesday was a fun day where I got to go to the range for four hours and get paid to shoot. I took advantage of the rest of the day off to catch up on much needed sleep.

Thursday ended with some baby mama-baby daddy drama. I got a call saying a baby daddy had just threatened the caller. I get on scene and the guy is already gone. The caller told me he was upset that her elderly mother gave the 2 month old baby some milk. He started yelling at the mother so she yelled back at him to stop disrespecting her. He shouted "Don't be surprised when I come back and shoot the place up!". The caller told me the guy already had two prior convictions for aggravated assault so she was taking the threats seriously. It's amazing how the little things can cause arguments  to get pushed so drastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment