Sunday, November 1, 2015

Lies and Truths

So Tuesday was insane. It honestly would have been the best day for anyone to ride along. We were given in roll call before the shift a BOLO (Be On The LookOut) for a white pickup that was involved in vehicle break-ins and had shot at victims earlier in the day. The vehicle itself was stolen out of a neighboring county and had a gun inside when it was stolen.

Sure enough, about an hour into the shift, someone spotted it. We waited until the vehicle pulled into a gas station before we attempted to make contact with it. It immediately realized what was going on and tried to ram an officer before hitting the street and taking off. The chase was on! The vehicle went all throughout our zone and into another zone before coming back in and taking the highway. This roughly around rush hour when it went onto a major interstate. We were requesting assistance from our air unit but the weather wasn't cooperating for them to get airborne. The roads were even wet and we had a nice drizzle from a passing storm. We requested assistance from the state patrol (who will chase ANYTHING until the wheels fall off). They were about 30 seconds away from joining the chase when we lost the truck on the interstate amongst the traffic. It was a huge let down to a big rush for the most part.

Wednesday, I had a ride along who was a real estate developer in my city. He's currently working on a project to redevelop a part of the zone I work in and wanted to see what goes on in the area. The day was unfortunately less thrilling than the previous day with the car chase. I felt really bad he didn't get to see anything majorly exciting. We responded at one point to a shoplifting at a convenience store where the clerk said a guy who shoplifted the day before was back inside. I found a guy matching the description walking out of the store eating a bag of chips. I approached him and asked him for his identification while another officer went in to talk to the store clerk. The guy was 35 years old and said he had never had an ID. I didn't buy it for a second and really thought he was lying to me and might have a warrant. It turns out-he was really 35 years old with no ID. He had been arrested NUMEROUS times before for dealing and possession of powder cocaine. The only way I was able to prove he was telling the truth was checking the arrest records. Crazy stuff. I can see never having a driver's license but I was shocked about not even having an ID card.

Thursday saw the first two hours of my day roped into a parking lot detail in front of a gym in the zone that has seen a lot of vehicle break-ins lately. People leaving all their bags and precious items in plain sight in their car while they go work out and come back to find their cars broken into.....I was bored out of my mind and so excited when I got relieved to go back into the fray of 911 calls. I was pulling out of the parking lot when I spotted a car with no working brake lights. I pulled the car over and approached to find a female driver and a male passenger. The female didn't have her driver's license on her and the male didn't have any ID. I had them both write down their information and when I ran it, I found out the male's name was an alias for a guy with a warrant for a probation violation warrant on a DUI charge. I detained the male and looked back at the warrant hit. It told me the man had multiple tattoos including one on his neck that had a name on it. I walked over to my backseat and opened the back door asking the male if he had any tattoos. He said no and then I went to look at his neck and there was the big ass tattoo with the name from the warrant hit. I really don't know why he even bothered to try lying to me. I charged him with lying to me on top of the warrant he had. Meanwhile I did ask the female driver (his girlfriend) what his name was and she kept running with his fake name. I didn't take her to jail for lying to me too because she was pregnant. She did however get tickets for not driving with her license on her and the brake lights not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment