Sunday, January 3, 2016

Christmas In the Streets 2015

Since creating this blog, this is Christmas in the Streets Volume II. The craziness continues on as people got ready for the holidays.

Sunday, I was dropping off someone with a warrant at City Jail when an inmate got into a dispute with the jail doctor. The inmate was being medically evaluated by the doctor when he yelled at the doctor to release him. the doctor told the guy he was only responsible medically for him and could not help him legally. The guy got upset and spit on the doctor. Our city corrections officers aren't like deputies that work in county jails, so they need us to place charges on people. Guess who was the lucky officer who got stuck to help since I was the only one there? I guess there's always a first time to arrest someone inside of a jail.

Monday, I was on a traffic stop where I arrested a guy for a suspended license. While I was on my traffic stop, we had a our regular "Bike Life" crew (a combination of illegal dirt bike and ATV riders who just ride around recklessly on city streets doing stunts), drive past me. They know our hands our tied by our city council and we can't chase them. That being said they love to ride past us on traffic stops basically doing whatever the hell they want to. I and every one of my coworkers hate it. We pretty much have to catch them when they crash, run out of gas, or break down...

Tuesday, I helped back up an officer from our traffic unit on a stop where the tag was not coming back to the vehicle. I came up along the passenger side and saw the driver had a handgun just lying on the passenger seat. In my state that's perfectly legal however still a potential threat. I called out to the officer with our signal for weapon and he acknowledged he had no idea it was there. The power of an extra set of eyes on a traffic stop is invaluable. Especially if the guy wanted to be a threat. I easily would have seen it and have been able to react way before he would have.

Wednesday, I responded to an open door call. A lady was coming home with her toddler and pulled into her driveway to notice her garage door was open and the door to inside of her house from the garage was unlocked. She was worried somebody might still be in the home. I rushed lights and sirens to the house and waited for my backup unit before we made entry. We proceeded to clear this awfully big house room by room. We had just finished training for active shooter so we got to use some of the room clearing skills we added to our arsenal. Thankfully, as soon as we made entry I noticed the homeowner's laptop on the kitchen table. That would have been the first thing taken. Sure enough, no burglary occurred and the family could sleep in peace coming up on Christmas Eve the next day.

Thursday (Christmas Eve), it just POURED. Accidents left and right. However, on a day where most people were settling down with their families, I got a call for a suicidal male armed with a knife. I got to the apartment complex where he was located and he came towards my direction hands visible telling me he wanted to go to the hospital. He already had a cut to his right arm where he tried to cut himself. The paramedics arrived on scene and he was a willing patient. I just had to pat him down first and make sure he didn't have the knife before I put him in the back of the ambulance with them. It's always sad when someone is so depressed on what is typically a great and joyous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment